I just finishing reading the post of No More Waffle (The Importance of Proper Fork Usage), and wanted to share with you what the company I work for in January (FLEXABILITY), no, no it’s not a typo. This new program has for objective to provide workers a higher flexibility in the time management to improve work-life balance as well as consider the preference of each of one and finally to improve performances and engagement.
The ¨Flexability¨ concept is dividing in several points:
- The new core hours are from 10:00AM till 05:00PM from Monday to Friday (still 40 hours per week).
- No meeting before 10AM or after 5PM and Friday is considering as NO meeting day;
- Friday is also a day where you can work from home as there is no meetings.
- For a specific period of time (couple weeks/months), we can do a compress week, meaning that we can work 10 hours per day and work 4 days (Friday off);
- Can buy up-to 10 additional days of vacation per year;
- Increase the sabbatical leave to 1 year;
- and some others.
I really think this program will boost the productivity of each employees as it really give us much more flexibility to improve our work-life balance.
In my case, I love to work early morning but cannot work in the evening, so now not having meeting after 5PM works great for me as I can leave the office without nobody looking at me with big eyes and making comments like you do 1/2 day today.
The compress week is also something that will try in summer for example, imagine that in July you work 4 days and then have a long weekend every week, great!
I know that this kind of program is not new and many companies have implemented it already for some time, but in our case that is big change for a company like ours.
Let see how effective this program is in a couple of month.
Cheers and have a good work week